Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Acceptance

I'm feeling much better today than I did yesterday about the whole change in diet and exercise thing. I think I sort of needed someone to step in and say that yes, in fact, I DO need to be exercising, and that eating more food groups than just fruit, cereal, and sugar would be a good idea. Andy went to the grocery last night and stocked up on some veggies, whole grains, and flavored (but calorie-free) water for me, which makes it easier, and I've actually enjoyed the 3 meals I've had since then. A few years back, Andy and I did a low-carb diet for quite a while, and that's sort of what I'm modeling these new habits after, but with less rigidness. Since she didn't tell me I couldn't, I'll still probably have some form of chocolate every few days, but I just don't need it 3-4 times every day like I probably was.

I did 30 minutes on the treadmill yesterday, and about the same about during a walk at work today with my boss, and feel good about it! I'd sort of turned into a bit of a slug, as hard as it is to admit that, and this new way of doing this has kicked off what I needed to be doing anyways. I'm sure I'll have some challenges over the holidays in terms of sticking to the modified eating and exercise habits, but my plan is to not beat myself up if I eat something less than perfect from time to time, I just can't eat garbage ALL the time.

Ahh, acceptance; it's a wonderful thing.

No comments: