Monday, December 17, 2007

Angus and I are "Beefing" Up!

I had my most recent doctor's appointment today (at about 15 1/2 weeks) and I've apparently gained 6 lbs. since the last one 4 weeks ago. I guess this isn't necessarily a horrible thing, but she said I don't want to gain this much EVERY 4 weeks. I also had a higher-than-usual blood pressure, though she doesn't think we need to do anything about this currently. The other sort of concerning thing was the sugar in my urine. I guess this means that getting gestational diabetes is possible, but they don't actually test for it at my doctor's office. She advised me to start eating less sugary cereals, etc., to cut out fruit and fruit juices entirely, and make sure I'm getting more exercise than I have been. I'm supposed to have some protein with every meal, and make most meals consist of protein, dairy, and vegetables, and make sure that all carbs I eat are whole grain. Seems bizarre to me that I shouldn't be eating fruit, but I guess it does have a lot of sugar in it. I've been pretty emotional today about the whole thing, though the doctor assured me that I'm still fine, and baby's still fine. These changes in diet and exercise should help with the weight gain and the sugary urine, so that's what I'll do. She listened to the heartbeat again today, which sounds just fine, and also did the "multiple marker screen," which will tell us if baby's at higher risk for Down's syndrome, spina bifida, etc.

In good news: they were able to tell me that our insurance covers these prenatal appointments 100%, though I still need to find out what sort of coverage will exist for the eventual hospital stay. Also, my doctor will be out of town in 4 weeks (when my next appointment was to be scheduled), so I'll go in 3 weeks instead! This is exciting, since they should be able to tell us the gender at that time. January 10, for any of you who are keeping track of this stuff, and you know I'll be posting something after that appointment!

Also (I suppose this is good news), I've finally committed to the idea of owning a few actual maternity items. I bought 2 shirts and 2 pairs of pants at Old Navy on Saturday, and am happy with them. Much easier to mess with than the tummy sleeve, though it's still being put to use regularly as well. I'm just thrilled to find pants that work in the belly area and in the length, since I'm a tad short, and most pants are too long, and petites are too short. I tried on a couple of items at the Motherhood Maternity store, and it was a little startling. They had one of those little pillow-belly things you velcro around your middle while trying on stuff, and honestly, I'm just not ready to buy things that will fit with that thing. I'm getting there, just at my own speed...

We'll be heading out of town on Thursday (the 20th) and will be gone through the holidays, and I can't wait! I think a change of scenery will be very nice, as will the chance to spend time with our families. If I don't get a chance to write again before that, happy holidays to everyone!!!

No comments: