Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Ducks in a Row...

Ok, so it's really early to start planning this stuff, but I know I'm someone who feels better when I have a plan, or at least an idea, of what's going to happen. So, I had an appointment with our director of human resources today, and found out that because of when I'm scheduled to deliver (June 6-7), which falls at the very beginning of when I'm off work (off all of June and July every year), I won't have to start using sick time to get a paycheck until my contract year begins, August 1. By then, I'll have around 8 weeks of time accumulated that I can take, meaning that I don't have to come back to work until the very end of September, meaning that I could have as much as 4 months off with a paycheck after the kiddo gets here. I AM ECSTATIC!!! I love my job, and am definitely planning to return to it, but at the same time, I want as much (paid) time off as I can get, and want to enjoy every precious moment with our new little one before going back. I don't think I'll actually take quite 4 months; I'm thinking of going back part-time in mid-September to get me used to being back, and Angus used to the new babysitter.

Which, however, is another thing I've learned about today that I'm pleased about. Angus' regular sitter will be our close friend Brandie who stays home with her son and also watches a couple of other children. Not only do I totally trust and feel comfortable with her, but she'll be a bit more flexible about scheduling. For example, since I don't work in June and July, I don't want to have to pay a regular sitter during those months, and she's fine with that. I haven't totally wrapped my brain around the cost for this service yet, but I believe it to be in line with other places and again, the comfort of knowing he/she will be with someone I love and trust is worth it to me.

I told my boss my tentative plan today re: time off/possible return dates, and though she's a fantastic and caring boss, I think it'll take her a little while to wrap her mind around the implications for the rest of the office. This can't NOT be an inconvenience to them, especially since there are only 3 of us who share weekly on-call duties, and for close to 4 months that'll be split between 2 people, but I know I have to do what I feel is best for me and my family. I'm sure she'll come around, and it'll all work out, but when I first told her I was pregnant, she (for some reason) had in her mind that I'd likely be off for 6 weeks, so this new information has got to come as a bit of a shock.

I've been feeling pretty well, and have a lot more energy than I did early on (though still not so much that I'm exercising as much as I probably should be). I think I've gained maybe a pound or 2 in the last couple of weeks, and my appetite's definitely returned. My next appointment is this coming Monday, Dec. 17, and I'll be past the 15 week mark at that point. I swear, every Friday when I hit a new week, it feels like my birthday, I'm just so pleased. I found a cute little party dress to wear to a cocktail party that a co-worker is having this Saturday and for now, the combination of my tummy sleeve and looser-fitting pants seems to work with the slightly larger belly. Oh, AND Andy and I got a dishwasher last weekend, which I'm sure will come in quite handy in about 6 months (not that it's not already coming in handy, but seriously, does anyone else's run for 2 1/2 - 3 hours?! Crazy!) Life is good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish Salina and I could be there to share in this more with you guys!!!

We couldn't be happier for you!