Friday, October 19, 2007

Holy Crap!

Um, it appears that we are having a normal, healthy pregnancy. Our little "Angus," as my husband affectionately refers to him/her, is 8mm long, has a strong heartbeat, and is doing just fine! We have the fuzzy black and white pics, and I'll attempt to get one up on here soon.

It's SO NICE to have all these medical professionals confirm what I've been believing for some time now, that all is well within my womb. I don't think I've talked about this on here much yet, but when I had my first ectopic pregnancy, my right fallopian tube ruptured, and is no longer functional. Then, I had another ectopic pregnancy in the left tube! Luckily, I'd switched doctors by then, and she was on the lookout for such things, and was able to perform a surgery to remove the growing embryo before it too ruptured and injured me. It is because of her skill and care that I have the one remaining tube that has allowed me to conceive naturally, and I'll be grateful to her forever for that. I get emotional just thinking about that, and realizing how very different our family planning efforts would be if I was left with no functioning tubes.

Both the ultrasound lady and the nurse practitioner said that when you can hear a strong heartbeat, as we were able to today, the chances of a miscarriage (which was the result of my first pregnancy) go down "tremendously." Everything I hear and read says that it's probably "safe," now to start telling people our good news, but I'm still kind of wanting it to be just mine for a little longer. I know that once people know I'm pregnant, all chances of a normal conversation just go out the window, and I'd like to still be just a person for a while longer. Plus, I like the idea of being able to tell my and Andy's families in person, and it'll be Thanksgiving before we can do that. We'll see if we can hold out that long. The nurse today gave me a very interesting-looking book with all the need-to-know info about pregnancy, so I'm going to get started on it.

It's strange, I've been so exhausted for the last few weeks, but today I've been so excited and wired that my typing can't really keep up with my thoughts. Imagine, me being just a normal, pregnant person, getting to do all the normal, pregnant person things, like have normal ultrasounds, and pictures, and send off the card for my samples of formula (though I plan to breastfeed, at least at first). I LOVE IT!!!

No comments: